With WP Ultimo, you can sell membership plans, packages, and services on your multisite network.
In this lesson, we’ll guide you through every step to create a membership plan.
Just follow these steps:
1- Optional – Enable the “Custom Domains” feature for your platform
If you don’t enable the Custom Domains feature, users will get a site with a URL like this: usersite.platformdomain.com.
But if you want users to be able to use a URL like “usersite.com”, you need to enable the Custom Domains feature before creating a new membership plan.
Here’s how you can enable the custom domains in WP Ultimo:
Go to Network Admin > WP Ultimo > Settings > Domain Mapping.
Select the following values there:
- Enable domain mapping: Yes
- Enable single sign-on: This is optional
- Force admin redirect: Allow access to the admin by both mapped domain and network domain
- Restrict SSO checks to login pages: Yes
- Enable custom domains: Yes
2- Create a membership plan in WP Ultimo
You can manage WP Ultimo products at Network Admin > WP Ultimo > Products.
Depending on your choice when setting up the plugin, WP Ultimo can create default products. However, we’ll create a new plan from scratch.
Click on Add Product.
3- Add the general information
- Add new product: Enter the plan’s name here.
- Product description: Add a general description for the new plan.
- Slug: You can enter the URL slug of the plan here. It’s important to mention the slug serves as the ID of the product.
- Product type: Select the Plan type here.
- Customer Role: When a customer buys this plan, he will get the role you select here. In this case, since customers will create and manage a site, select the Administrator role.
4- Optional – Select upgrade or downgrade options
If you’re creating more than one plan, you can create upgrade and downgrade paths that will allow your users to change between plans.
WP Ultimo allows you to create plan groups so that you add related plans to the same group.
For example, if you’re creating a Basic and a Pro plan, you can relate these plans in a Group so that your users change between these two plans.
In Up & Downgrades, select the following values.
- Plan Group: Add the plan group name here.
- Product Order: This allows you to add membership levels. For example, the Basic plan’s order would be 1 so that users can upgrade to the Pro plan, whose order will be 2. You can sort as many related / grouped plans as you have.
5- Add price variations
In previous versions, WP Ultimo allowed monthly, quarterly, and yearly prices. That has changed, and now you can add any price variations.
Move to Price Variations and toggle the Enable price variations field.
Then you can add the duration, the period, and the price for each price variation you want to add to your WP Ultimo membership plan.
6- Select tax settings
If you want to collect taxes from this plan, move to the Taxes tab and enable the Is taxable field.
Then, you can select the Tax Category for this product.
7- Optional – Select site templates
Note: In future sessions, you’ll learn how to create a site template, so you can skip this step by now.
Move to the Site Templates option, where you can allow site templates for this WP Ultimo plan.
This means you can create and configure a site template that will be automatically cloned to a new site when the customer adds it to your network.
In Site Template Selection Mode, you can select how the site templates will be assigned or selected by the users. You have these three options:
- Assign site template: This method automatically assigns a template to the sites using this plan.
- Choose available site templates: This method allows users to select a template for their sites among different templates. You can enable which of your templates will be available for this plan. You can even choose a pre-selected template.
8- Select the site limit
In the Sites tab, you can limit how many sites can be created with this plan.
In this case, we’ll enable the Limit Sites field, and enter 1 in Site Allowance.
9- Select the visits limit
If you move to the Visits tab, you can enable the Limit Unique Visits field.
This means the visits to this site will have a certain limit and if sites using this plan reach the visits limit, they will require a higher plan to continue showing their site publicly.
You can add how many visits this site can get in Unique Visits Quota.
10- Select the user limits
You can move to the Users tab and select the user limits.
WP Ultimo allows you to select how many administrators will be created with this plan in a site, how many authors, etc.
For this, you can enable the Limit user field.
Then, you can enable and establish a number for each user role.
11- Select the post type limits
In the Post Types tab, you can limit how many posts, how many pages, how many products the users can create.
You can enable the post type limits by enabling the Limit Post Types field.
Then, you can limit different post types and add how many of each post types can be created with this membership plan.
12- Assign disk space
In the Disk Space tab, you can limit the disk space per site for this plan.
Enable the Limit Disk Spacer Per Site field, and add how many MBs will be allowed for this plan in Disk Space Allowance.
13- Allow/disallow custom domains
If you want to allow your users to use a custom domain instead of using a subdomain on their sites, you can enable the Allow Custom Domains field in the Custom Domains tab.
14- Select the allowed themes
Users who buy these WP Ultimo plans can select from the available themes to customize their site’s appearance.
You can move to the Themes tab, and select the visibility and availability of the themes installed on your multisite network.
- Visibility: You can select if the theme will be Visible or Hidden.
- Behavior: This plan can be Available, Not Available, or Force Activate.
15- Select the available plugins
If you’re planning to allow users of this plan to use plugins to enrich their site’s features, you can select the plugins’ visibility and behavior in the Plugins tab.
- Visibility: Visible or Hidden
- Behavior: Force Activate, Force Inactivate, Force Activate and Lock, Force Inactivate and Lock
Note – Leave the default options settings.
16- Set up pricing options
- Pricing type: WP Ultimo allows you to create Paid, Free, and Contact Us plans.
- A Paid plan requires a price.
- A free plan doesn’t require any plan.
- A Contact Us plan allows customers to contact you in order to inquire the plan’s price.
- Is recurring: Toggle this field if the product will collect recurring payments.
- Price: Enter the price and how many days, weeks, months, or years this membership will last.
- Billing Cycles: Select how many times you will bill customers with this plan.
- Offer trial: Tick this checkbox if you will offer a free trial period on your platform.
- Trial: Select how many days, weeks, months, or years the trial period will last.
- Add set up fee: Enable this if you want to charge an initial setup fee.
- Set up fee: Add the set up fee here.
Finally, hit Save Product.
Now you will be to see the new WP Ultimo plan added to the plans list at WP Ultimo > Products > Plans.
The next lesson will cover how to configure the frontend dashboard appearance.